keto sushi bowls
I'm about 3 weeks into keto and I'm totally loving it. I feel fuller for longer periods of time (a really, really long time) and have more sustained energy throughout the day. Low carb, high fat diets have been on my radar because of Paleo and Whole30, but I've never really committed to keto before. I didn't think about it being the right approach for me, for whatever reason. Keto seems like a further level of diet restriction, and maybe even a little aggresive? And then I tried it, and felt totally the opposite. Like everything got a little easier and lighter. Go figure.
Grain free salmon bowls are a staple of my Paleo, and now keto menu. They're filling and have all the components that I love, and they're pretty and fun to make! When I found this cauliflower rice recipe from Christina of The Castaway Kitchen, it was really a game changer for me. The texture and flavor of this cauli rice is sooooo good. I usually add a little extra vinegar, just like my favorite Japanese sushi rice.
This is an easy-to-assemble keto meal. And you won't be sad that there's leftover rice! I like to keep frozen, wild salmon portioned out in the freezer. Freezing the salmon keeps it low histamine.
Makes 1 sushi rice bowl -
- 1 - 4oz portion salmon. I de-frost from frozen in water, then sear skin-side down in a cast iron pan for a couple minutes until the skin is crispy. Flip the salmon and cook for just a minute or so, until it flakes easily.
- 1 cup - Paleo sushi rice from The Castaway Kitchen
- 1/2 avocado
- Sliced radish (I quick-pickled watermelon radish in some coconut aminos)
- Sprouts or microgreens
- Green onions, cut on the bias
- Toasted Nori sheets, sliced
For the sauce, combine and drizzle over your sushi bowl -
1/2 Tablespoon each -
- Fish sauce
- Coconut aminos
- Toasted sesame oil
Optional, but fun -
- Urashima furikake - I love this brand for its clean ingredients, check your labels otherwise
- Fresh sliced ginger
- Yuzu kosho (spicy pepper/citrus paste) and/or Wasabi
Get creative with your keto sushi bowls!